BLAH!!!

gelli plate printed fabric

The problem with blogging something, is that once you have shared it you feel compelled to carry it through even if you are not feeling it and just want to abandon the whole thing. I know if I was a retrospective blogger this wouldn't be a problem, but I am rarely that organised.

gelli plate printed fabric

That is how I am feeling about my last post. The process was fun and I got stitch with my Gelli Plate printed fabrics. I have learnt that even though they are ordinary acrylics rather than fabric paints, they still work really well because the Gelli Plate allows you to get a thin layer of colour on. It is fine to stitch through and doesn't stiffen up the fabric too much. So that is good.

gelli plate printed fabric

However, once I started to quilt and stitch I just decided that the pieces were simply ugly, and just because you can get lots of layers and colours going on, it doesn't mean you have too.

gelli plate printed fabric

I have did throw more at them in an attempt to improve them.

gelli plate printed fabric

I have played around with the stitching, using wool and adding hand stitching.

gelli plate printed fabric

I have even thought about adding text with some new paint pens that I want to try out and if I can think of some word other than BLAH!! to write on these I might just do that.

Other options would be to paint over them with block colours, or cut them up into A.T.C.  all of which means more work.

OR I could just throw them in the bin, which is what a friend of mine did recently with a baby quilt that just wasn't working out. It caused a bit of controversy I can tell you, but it freed up her head to get on with other things, and I think that is what I need to do.

Have you ever thrown pieces away?

art quilting


Comments

  1. You know me, I would either paint over it, or put it in my "I hate it!" box until I am inspired to make something over. And just because you blogged about it's beginning, don't feel you have to finish it. My pieces take so long that even though I'm a "retrospective blogger" as you call it (lol); sometimes I'm hip deep in it and decide I hate. And then it's just never mentioned on my blog again. Not a single person has ever called me on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kit, if something's not working and I've started blogging about it I just leave it to one side and don't refer to it again unless someone else does. I suppose it's good to share the fact that some things don't work, we all have problem projects that refuse to be resolved. I rarely throw anything away. I am happy to cut things up, pull them apart, make them into a bookcover and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda like the idea of putting blah on it. You could then keep it as your blah quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could use it as something else, but if you are not happy with it then time to quit and move onto something you feel passionate about.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thrown a piece away but I have given away something that I hates and could not fathom why the recipient loves it so much. Hated it totally and it sucked making it. If I were you I would stuff it in a corner because that is just the way I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel bad about trying something that doesn't work out. You certainly gave it a good try. I say offer it up as a give away (one man's trash is another man's treasure) or donate it to a charity shop. It certainly isn't ugly to me. And I admire your willingness to try new things. The fear often keeps me from even trying, because I'm so worried about messing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never throw something away! But that probably means that I'll end up with boxes of UFOs. Could you let it 'rest' and ome back to it with a fresh mind? I don't actually think it's that bad so I'm sure that it does have potential.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering what you did with it. I throw things in my 'hate box' too and one day I'll be looking through it for inspiration and sometimes a new idea will come to me. It may turn out to be something special in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts